Monday, July 2, 2007

Genocide Museum TUOL SLENG










We toured this museum today. /Before the Khmer Rouge these buildings were a high school. They converted these rooms into small cubicles(bottom right) and the people were chained to the floor. There were 12,499 people; men, women and children, even tiny babies killed between 1975- 1978. These wicked people kept very careful records and pictures of those they killed, tortured, and interrogated. It was a very sad experience today. A real demonstration of man's inhumanity to man.

6 comments:

Tammy said...

Very sad. But I imagine it would be helpful to know what happened to your ancestors - instead of wondering. WOW! I am planning a trip to the Holocaust Museum in DC. I am only going to take Michael.

Christine & Crew said...

I imagine it was a very somber experience. But important for both of you to understand the history of these people that you work with. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

It's good that you can learn the history. You might like to know that Sarah came running up to us after Sacarament Meting with an old church news that had the "Opening Up" of Cambodia to missionary work on the front cover. I don't know where she got it, but she was beaming while she told people that her Grandma and Grandpa were there.

Max and Deborah said...

That would have been difficult, but just like tina may had said, it will help you better know how to help and understand the people you get to teach. It reminds me of the holocaust. I don't think they kept the records like this though.

Victoria said...

I just watched Hotel Rowanda, which is about the genocide that has taken place there, and what a scary and tragic time it was and what a struggle it still is. It is amazing this has taken place so recently, but what a blessing to have the gospel in their country!

madhattie said...

Words escape me. what awful things people do to each other. I'm glad they kept records, so they cannot be forgotten.

I love you and am so glad you are there to bring the gospel to them.